I’m goin on a bit of a rant again guys. This has been bugging me a while.
I have never ever been to an art class aside from grade 8 art and grade 10. I am almost entirely self-taught and I know I have a long way to go.
This is my first ever acrylic painting, (sorry for crappy picture), and I wasn’t used to the medium, so I decided to paint in my usual style, and paint a character I draw alot. AKA- Davesprite from homestuck. I painted this for my friend. This isn’t the only style I draw in, I have tried many others and I am working on it.
A few days ago I went to see what kind of grade I would get for it and my art grade overall. Since I was at an A last term, I expected maybe a B overall.
This term I am at a C.
I lost two grade marks.
She doesn’t think this is an art style.
I respect peoples opinions, and I won’t deny that “cartoony art” isn’t something you’d see in high and snooty galleries, but I put alot of work into this. Each class is 80 minutes.
I spent five classes AND evenings at home on this.
It may seem a bit much for such a small painting, but I wanted to try different things and draw wings properly (Which I did mess up on but hey, I tried.)
My teacher wants me to change MY style to something SHE likes. I have heard of her making kids change their paintings to something she liked more that honest to god ruined the painting. I’ve seen examples of bright, creative art that goes “blah” after she gets a hold of it.
Regardless, I still took the class, and hoped for the better. And I regret it.
In my family, my sister is the artist, I am not. So I was hoping for some acknowledgement of sorts. What did I get?
“I was kinda expecting you to draw more like your sister.” “This style isn’t very artistic.”
I have never felt so insulted in my life
Don’t get me wrong, I love my sisters art, I adore it, I’d love to have her talent, but I am not my sister.
She only gave me an A last term “because I thought maybe you’d show more now.”
I want to know tumblr’s opinion. Because I have never felt so ignored and insulted in my life. I have handed in multiple drawings with many different styles. But she only acknowledges me as a “kid who should try to be more like her sister.”
Art isn’t set by one person, everyone has their own values and ideas, but to shoot down someone trying their best is just plain ignorant.
I trust people to give me their honest opinion, and I know I overreact at times, but this just hurt.
I am incredibly upset and I tried to brush it off, but now I don’t even want to draw. Not right now, at least.
I’m not putting the pencil down for good, I’m gonna push past this and work harder, but I needed to get this off my chest.
I don’t exactly have followers, but, y’know.
this is one of the most terrible things I’ve ever read about a teacher on here. fill this girl’s ask box with the knowledge that she’s great.
WOW. That teacher should not be allowed to teach young people art, full stop.
I don’t know much about Homestuck or anything, so I don’t… you know, think I can really judge on that front, but that is absolutely not okay. You don’t tell a kid something like that, you don’t make your personal taste a part of grading, you offer instruction so that kids can art better but you don’t punish them if their creative impulses differ from what you would do. That is crappy teaching, and that is no way to art.
Stuff like that pisses me off.
As for the OP, if you enjoy art, then you should do the stuff that makes you happy. Art classes can help, with the technicals, can give you the language— so to speak— that you need to create your art, but the teacher is there to teach technique, to teach basics, to teach the ground rules— not to teach style or subject matter (outside of specific assignments from time to time, of course— ‘demonstrate ability to draw a sphere’, ‘this week do a still life’, that kind of thing). I am sorry your teacher seems to be bad at actually teaching young people to embrace art.
And let me also say, my brother is a fantastic artist. His traditional stuff, both 2- and 3D blows mine out of the water. He’s the artistic genius of the family, and he works so hard on it that I’ll never catch up because he’ll keep improving. But, I enjoy art, and sometimes my art is okay— sometimes my art is good. Not always, not with the most consistency, but because I enjoy it, I continue to make art, because art is fun. So, OP, keep making art as long as art is fun, and don’t let your teacher make you feel bad because you’re not your sister. It sounds like you have a healthy outlook on that on your own, but… you know, don’t let that change based on someone’s expectations. You’re you, and that’s good enough. That’s great. And there will always be people who love cartoony art— I love cartoony art— and room for more of it!
- audinra reblogged this from franthekumo
- rockazillyhoo reblogged this from psalloferrum
- crystalwarrior72 reblogged this from necromatador and added:
- necromatador reblogged this from cancerously and added:
- kinia1the1wolf likes this
- itsnotmymind likes this
- datsmile reblogged this from nhyworks
- sanguineoracle reblogged this from chickennagitos
- sanguineoracle likes this
- dameofsound reblogged this from chickennagitos and added:
- madmansally likes this
- ashdenej likes this
- corgiknight reblogged this from kawaiipotatoprincess
- kawaiipotatoprincess reblogged this from chickennagitos
- soveress likes this
- esselonia reblogged this from chickennagitos
- wixard likes this
- chickennagitos reblogged this from cancroidea
- chickennagitos likes this
- cancroidea reblogged this from nononnononoonono
- theladyems likes this
- themlc likes this
- superpsychicsuperhero reblogged this from ponyboyzahhak
- ponyboyzahhak reblogged this from trollit
- zamii070 likes this
- trollit reblogged this from turnipchan
- clowder-l likes this
- theramblinggirl reblogged this from cancerously and added:
- gabberforth likes this
- psalloferrum reblogged this from latulasnasalcavities
- okiedokoro reblogged this from thepioden
- schrodingers-naegi reblogged this from apocalypseculler
- mcallme reblogged this from nerdkind
- pamelaisley9291 reblogged this from intergalactic-asshole
- hitomeyaska likes this
- monster-dave reblogged this from cancerously
- necropantser reblogged this from mythfadestolegends
- apocalypseculler reblogged this from animeloverx2
- animeloverx2 reblogged this from themadwrldeffct
- themadwrldeffct reblogged this from johnkatier
- intuitivegamer likes this
- intuitivegamer reblogged this from cancerously and added:
- notmikey likes this
- nhyworks reblogged this from cancerously and added:
- thepioden reblogged this from drownmysorrowsintea and added:
- peppy-panda likes this
- zephyrscribe likes this
- designpurrfection reblogged this from cancerously and added:
- horus-zahak reblogged this from cancerously
- a-hamburger likes this